- This event has passed.
Direct Fired Heaters: Their Design & Operation
24th September 2018 - 26th September 2018
A long established technology, direct-fired heaters have a history of successful operation at plants around the world. But combustion and heat transfer technologies are continually evolving. New engineered solutions for a complex new world of energy production dictate the increased use of fire heaters in a wide range of specialized process applications. Reducing downtime and maintenance costs are top priorities. Improving thermal efficiency can lead to significant energy savings, and can also help reduce harmful air emissions.
One way to realize efficiency is through improved design. Another is to increase the operational know-how of an onsite plant personnel, through focused training on fired-heater design and construction, process-flow parameters, and other variables that affect operation.
This three-day course is specifically designed to help plant engineers better understand the function of direct-fired heaters. We focus on the most common design types, considering fuel type, combustion chemistry, heat transfer and release, combustion air supply and control, and mechanical factors including burners, refractory, tube design, and corrosion and fouling mitigation. We also review techniques to improve efficiency, operate safely and meet emission guidelines.
Who Should Attend
This event is intended for experienced managers for process, production, mechanical, maintenance, and instrumentation engineers, and for senior supervisors and superintendents, trainee process engineering trainees, inspectors, and plant operators at petrochemical refineries and gas processing facilities.
Key Learning Points
This course is carefully structured to provide practical and exclusive training applicable to engineers, technicians, management or operating facility superintendents who recovery units, and burner management systems. At the end of the training, attendees will be able to:
- Identify and list the applicable codes and standards for fired process heaters
- Determine the mechanical limitations of heaters
- Describe the theoretical and practical aspects of burners and combustion air supply, common and complex instrumentation applications, heater operation, tube and refractory design
- Explain key operating parameters
- Employ techniques to minimize emissions, corrosion and fouling
- Implement safe practices and identify safety issues
- Identify typical problems and possible causes
- Identify key inspection and turnaround items