- This event has passed.
Electric Power Projects and Power Purchasing
February 12 - February 13
This course is designed for those in the energy industry who are involved in the planning and development of electricity supply and the purchase or sale of power. The course will begin with a review of challenges and solutions associated with the development of power generation and transmission assets with a particular focus on fiancing requirements. An understanding of development and fiancing issues is essential in order to implement successful power procurement mechanisms and in order to effectively negotiate power purchase agreements. The course will evaluate these issues in the context of all types of generation technologies, including renewable energy projects. The second phase of the course will cover the range of procurement options for electricity supply including auctions, feed-in-tariffs and competitive requests for proposals. The trainer will review effiient practices and best practices in this area from a world-wide perspective. The fial phase of the course will be a detailed, interactive analysis of power purchase agreements – how to design, negotiate, implement and successfully manage them.
Who Should Attend
Any company managers, financial officers, developers, attorneys or consultants or other persons who are involved in the following areas would benefit from this course:
- Developers of power generation projects who wish to sell their power to government or privately owned companies who serve industrial, commercial or residential customers;
- Companies that serve these customers and need to increase or diversify their sources of power supply, including companies who wish to procure “green” sources of energy to supplement their existing supply sources; and
- Industrial or commercial companies who wish to understand how they might develop or fiance power generation facilities that would sell excess power into the grid or to a local utility provider.
Key Learning Objectives
- MASTER basics of project development and fiance, PPA contract terms, the PPA bidding process, and feed-in tariff structures
- ASSESS sample PPA language
- DISCUSS methods and practices for successful negotiations
- ANALYSE issues that arise during operations and how to allocate legal risk
- REVIEW utility scale projects
- EXPLORE other renewables such as biomass, biofuels, and wind, and programs utilizing these technologies