- This event has passed.
Basin Analysis Masterclass
14th November 2015
Basin Analysis may be regarded as one of the most demanding of the abilities expected of a petroleum geologist, but also one of the most rewarding. It is demanding because it draws on a wide range of geological skills and knowledge, ranging from an appreciation of the global structure responsible for basin formation in the first place, to an understanding at a microscopic level of how porosity evolves within a reservoir, and how hydrocarbons mature and are expelled from source rocks and accumulate in traps – and may ultimately be destroyed. It draws on all the geological disciplines, from earth structure and plate tectonics, through geophysics, sedimentology, stratigraphy and geochemistry, to mathematical geology and statistics. However, it is immensely rewarding because it enables the geologist to apply all of these skills to his or her main objective – the prediction, discovery and rational development of oil and gas fields. This course aims to remind the practising petroleum geologist, and others working in the hydrocarbon exploration and production industry, of the main principles of each of these different disciplines, and to show how they may be brought together to provide an understanding of all types of sedimentary basins, and the petroleum systems that lie within them. Further, it shows how this understanding may be used to predict where, in what quantities and of what type, hydrocarbons may be found within a basin. The course will review all of the basic principles of Basin Analysis, but will move on to more advanced topics designed for those who have already gained significant experience in the field. The learning will be accentuated through discussion of case studies and discussion. You will have many opportunities to share your challenges and opinion about basin analysis.
Benefits of Attending
- SYSTEMATICALLY assess a basin’s evolution process, integrating geology, geophysics and geochemistry
- IMPROVE the accuracy of basin evaluation and reservoir assessment
- EVALUATE the fundamentals controlling a basin’s burial history through tectonic subsidence analysis
- UNDERSTAND hydrocarbon migration
- CHARACTERIZE the essentials of reservoir and seal quality
- MASTER basin modelling and UNDERSTAND various key aspects of source rocks, including analytical methods and maturation & hydrocarbon expulsion modelling
- DEVELOP a successful basin evaluation and exploration strategy to enhance project profitability
- PREDICT and EVALUATE petroleum systems and hydrocarbon resources in sedimentary basins
- IDENTIFY critical risk factors and how to address them effectively
Who Should Attend
- Basin Management & Analysts
- Exploration Professionals
- Petroleum Engineers
- Reservoir Engineers
- Risk Management
- Research & Development
- Project Support & Services
This course will also bring value to: O&G Operators, Exploration Contractors, Drilling Contractors & O&G Service Providers.
For further information of this course, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org