- This event has passed.
Fire and Explosion Risk on Oil and Gas Facilities, Fundamentals, Assessment and Incident Investigations
7th August 2019 - 9th August 2019
The course/workshop presents a complete synopsis of the underlying concepts of fires and gas explosions, in the context of technical safety. The fundamentals are presented first, including the chain of events leading to fires and explosions. Subsequently, there is a deep dive into various prevention and mitigation techniques for reducing the probability of occurrence and consequences of such incidents.
The second day focuses on modelling and design, in accordance with the physical concepts presented on the first day. Various modelling tools are presented (both fluid flow as well as structural response), along with a discussion on when a certain kind of tool may be applied. Fire and explosion risk analyses are discussed, with their application for the design of safety critical elements such as blast walls and PFPs.
The third day discusses the various prevailing regulatory structures worldwide and their implication for fire and explosion risk assessment and management. The last part of the workshop discusses key fire and explosion incidents (some of which have shaped the regulations), accident investigations and lessons learned and how this forms an important tool for safer design.
Who Should Attend
- Safety engineers, managers and supervisors
- Personnel involved in the design, operation or modification of an offshore on onshore oil and gas and petrochemical facility
- Accident investigators
- Anyone who would like to develop an understanding of gas explosion and fire safely
Key Learning Objectives
- Understand the basics and important parameters governing vapour cloud explosions (VCEs) and fires
- Understand the chain of events leading to fire and explosion, and the important parameters affecting the gas release and dispersion
- Understand the various preventive measures to reduce the occurrence of accidents
- Understand the various mitigation and control techniques to reduce gas explosion and fire consequences
- Learn the various explosion and fire modelling techniques that may be applied
- Understand the importance of using advance 3D modelling for fire and gas explosion analyses