- This event has passed.
Petroleum Geology of the South and Central Atlantic
10th December 2018 - 11th December 2018
Understand the regional controls underpinning some of the world’s key frontier exploration provinces in the South and Central Atlantic. Save considerable time in your own researches in these regions. Learn how to assess the key factors controlling exploration success and failure in the region and in particular the complications involved in identifying pre-salt and turbidite plays. Acquire a methodology to assess opportunities through a petroleum systems ‘checklist’ approach, with attention to key issues such as tectonic history, heat flow, reservoir quality and petroleum generation history.
Who Should Attend
Geologists and geophysicists or exploration managers that are involved in the assessment of new exploration opportunities, acreage and prospects in the Central or South Atlantic. This is an advanced level course and a basic knowledge of petroleum geology and in particular of petroleum systems is required.
- Exploration & Development Department
- Exploration Managers
- Petroleum Engineers
Key Learning Objectives
- Participants will be provided with the regional picture controlling prospectivity in pre-salt, rift and post rift/salt plays, enabling them to concentrate in their own work on local and prospect specific issues
- Participants will learn how the tectonic and heat flow history of the region, and in particular processes preceding and during continental break-up, control the prospectivity of the South and Central Atlantic
- Specific attention is given to the complex controls on pre-salt plays on both sides of the Atlantic. Participants will learn how to screen for both pre-salt clastic and carbonate plays and avoid regions with downgrading influences such as early high heat flow and gas generation.
- For post-salt plays the key objective is to learn how to screen for thick effective reservoirs though the understanding of regional sediment/ reservoir supply and integrate this with seismic attribute analysis.
- Participants will learn how to apply ‘dataroom checklists’ to rapidly assess opportunities presented to them in this region