- This event has passed.
The Gulf of Mexico and its Continental Margins
23rd September 2019 - 25th September 2019
This 3-day course synthesizes the product of a 35-year career studying the Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, Florida-Bahamas Cuba, Central America, the Caribbean, northern South America, and the opening history of the Atlantic basins.
It represents a state-of-the-art assessment of what we know and don’t know in terms of basin evolution, and highlights some of the problematic issues facing hydrocarbon exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Materials are from the trainer’s own history of industrially-funded research consortia programs and interpretation for ION Geophysical.
The course is an internally consistent and comprehensive overview of the what exploration in the Gulf of Mexico basin is all about, but also addresses other areas of exploration interest such as Trinidad, the Guyanas, Colombia and Venezuela. A series of exercises complements the lectures to form a well-rounded, three-day examination of the western hemisphere’s most important oil province. The course is intended for explorationists wanting to understand the Gulf of Mexico first hand, as well as managers hoping to expand their activities into the region. The course is also an excellent example of the application of plate tectonics in the understanding of basin history.
Who Should Attend
- Explorationists needing quick exposure to the Gulf of Mexico, Mexico or Caribbean
- Team Managers needing to run exploration programs in the region
- Program Managers needing to decide where to focus their company’s exploration talents
- Executives deciding whether to move into the Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean
- Anyone wanting a crash course on plate tectonics and sedimentary basins
- Petroleum Engineers
Key Learning Objectives
- Document tectonic and basin history across Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean, from rifting to present
- Familiarise attendees with historical exploration efforts across the region
- Demonstrate how plate tectonics can impact petroleum potential and exploration strategies
- State of the Art Basin Evaluation
- Learn more about problematic issues on hydrocarbon exploration in the Gulf of Mexico