- This event has passed.
Practical A-Z Guide to Laytime and Demurrage
19th August 2019 - 21st August 2019
Led by an experienced maritime arbitrator, this course will provide an in-depth understanding of laytime and demurrage to avoid expensive legal proceedings and maximize the profitability of a fixture, especially for liquid cargo.
Catered to the perspectives of both shipowners and charterers, this course will discuss the calculation and exceptions of laytime, despatch, and the role played by damages for detention. Breach of pumping and/or temperature warranties and pumping warranty claims will be examined. This course will also look at the possible revisions of contract clauses that either party can negotiate for improved clarity and increased advantage.
Through real-life case studies, practical exercises, and or interactive mock dispute, our expert course facilitator will share the ways to reduce a charterer’s potential exposure to demurrage claims, and to increase the collection of demurrage for shipowners through tighter drafting and effective use of lien on cargo and other legal remedies.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is for professionals in the shipping industry who have some experience with ship chartering, and would like to enhance their working knowledge of demurrage for outstanding business performance.
- Chartering Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Marine Operations Managers
- Marine Claims Managers
- Legal Counsels & Managers
- Contracts Managers
- Logistics & Supply Chain Managers
- P&I Executives
- Port & Terminal Managers
- Sales & Marketing Executives
- Commodity Traders
Key Learning Objectives
- UNDERSTAND different type of charter-party and the various issues involved
- LEARN the definition and calculation of laytime based on “Laytime Definitions 2013” and charter-party clauses
- DISCOVER the fundamental of contract law in relation of demurrage, damages of detention and despatch
- LEARN the responsibilities and liabilities of charterers and how to assess the termination of demurrage period
- ACQUIRE practical skills in demurrage calculation for both dry and wet charters and its applications from early negotiation stage to voyage
- KNOW the importance of various interpretation of legal terms agreed and the possible legal claim
- IMPROVE understanding on dispute resolutions methods and arbitration processes