- This event has passed.
Play Fairway Training: Play Fairway and Prospect Analysis
March 13 - March 15
One event on 20th November 2023 at 12:00 am
Why Choose this Training Course
Learn what is increasingly becoming the standard methodology amongst major oil companies for screening basins and selecting blocks as well as to assemble and analyse a regional database in a systematic manner and then maintain the analysis as new data is acquired. This is an advanced level play fairway training course and participants would benefit from previous attendance at our Advanced Basin Analysis course, though this is not vital.
This advanced practical play fairway training course teaches the essentials of play fairway common risk segment mapping a technique now routinely applied in the most successful oil companies to focus on opportunities most worthy of investment and most likely to deliver success. The early parts of the course focus on how to synthesize data on the key risks affecting exploration so that key observations and interpretations can be synthesized in the drawing of play fairway maps. The second, more practical, portion of the course includes exercises in drawing and integrating common risk segment maps, all based on a real frontier licence round situation and on ‘cheap’ public domain data.
This is then fed through to a licence round recommendation and to a yet-to-find analysis. Participants may use their own companies colour schemes for play fairway analysis or may adopt a scheme used by the presenter.
Who Should Attend
Geologists and geophysicists or exploration managers that are involved in the assessment of new exploration opportunities and new country entry. This is an advanced level course and a basic knowledge of petroleum geology and in particular of petroleum systems is required. It would be helpful, but not vital, if participants have attended ‘Advanced Basin Analysis’, a course that immediately precedes this one.
- Exploration Managers
- Exploration & Development Department
Key Learning Objectives
- Learn how to rapidly synthesize a regional database into a suite of coloured ‘Common Risk Segment’ maps to use these to identify the regions and blocks of highest potential in any basin
- Learn how to save their companies millions of dollars in data acquisition costs by rapidly focusing on the most prospective parts of basins using public domain data.
- Learn how to deal with both risk and uncertainity and be able to cope with both good and poor datasets
- Learn a methology for rapidly screening acreage so as to respond to short term datelines such as license rounds
- Learn how to extend the play fairway analysis into a ‘yet to find’ analysis assessing the remaining reserves in any basin